Thursday, July 19, 2012

One Year Ago...

Hello friends!  I guess I need to quit apologizing each time I write a blog for the amount of time that has gone by since my last blog.  I have great intentions about posting more often, but at this time in my life, that just isn't happening.  Anyway, I had a few moments today and thought I'd try to post an update and catch you up a bit on what's happening these days.  To begin with, one year ago on this date, I had surgery to have my thyroid removed!  I cannot believe it has now been a full year since that took place. I will say that this has been a very difficult year for me.  Our thyroids are our primary mood stabilizers in our body.  So remove one, and you have to figure out how much medication to take to regulate your hormones and moods.  Add to that a person who has always been very drug sensitive, and you pretty much get a recipe for a year from hell, at least physically.  When your levels are too low, your body physically mimics the symptoms of depression.  When the levels are too high, you display symptoms of anxiety or mania.  This has been a year of up, down and all around for me as I have swung from low to high and back again on a repeated basis.  I will say this - one year later I am doing better.  My cycles between high and low are much less frequent, not as strong, and do not last as long.  I am recognizing the signs in my body much quicker and am learning what to do to prevent drastic swings.  Even so, it can still be tough.  I am currently coming down from a too high level and haven't been sleeping much and am constantly hungry.  Good times!  But while it has not been pleasant, I am grateful to all of you who have been kind to me over this past year, despite the mood swings and craziness!

Of course on top of these physical issues, I have been completing the craziest time of school as well.  It's absolutely miraculous that I have been able to stay in school and get done what needed to get done. And here I am, in the midst of my internship, with graduation looming a mere 5 months away!!!  I am SOOO excited and so ready to be done!  When I started this school journey 2 years ago, I knew time would go by quickly, but it seemed like it would be forever before I would be done.  Now I am winding things down - only 2 classes plus my internship remain, and I can't believe the end is in sight!

I am LOVING counseling!  It is a challenge to be sure, but it has taught me so much about God, myself and people in general.  So far I have seen 40 different individuals this year.  The amount of pain and sadness represented in those 40 stories is at times unfathomable, but I have also seen miracles take place in so many of their lives, and it is such a gift and honor to be able to share another's story as they journey towards healing.

Nikki and I just moved into a new townhouse that she bought, and we love it!  It is so nice to have a place that is a real home, where we can paint and plant flowers and create a space that is...well, home.  Ellie loves it too.  She runs up and down the stairs many times during the day, and family members will be delighted to know that this is helping her lose weight so she looks less like an ottoman. :)  There are lots of changes ahead as chapters end and new ones begin, but I am excited about what God is up to and what He is doing in my life.

For now, your continued prayers are appreciated as I wind up school and try to maintain focus for this last stretch.  Pray for the people God brings across my path.  Pray for wisdom as I sit with others and share their pain.  And pray that my levels will stabilize further and that I will be able to find the exact right dosage that will keep me mostly in the middle more often than not!  For now, I need to go eat some more food! :)  Happy Thursday!

1 comment:

Leanne and Mike said...

Hi Tiff! Thanks for the update. I have been thinking of you and wondering how you are. Congratulations on everything you have learned during this internship. I bet you are an awesome counselor! Hugs, Leanne