Thursday, July 1, 2010

Year In Review

Happy July 1st! If you can believe it, a couple of days ago marked the year anniversary of when Nikki and I moved to Florida. When we drove into town on June 29th last year, I don't think either one of us had any idea of what was in store for our first year here.

We were excited about a new adventure but the adventure of this past year has been a little unlike what I expected. I guess that's pretty normal in life, but had you told me then where I would end up a year later, I might not have believed you! To celebrate my first year here in Florida, I thought I'd share with you some of the things I have learned/been reminded of while here. Enjoy!!

I Love Disney World!!
I know that this probably isn't a great surprise, but being here with Disney in my backyard has only increased my love for it. I have so enjoyed being able to go to the parks whenever I want and ride rides and see the parks decorated for holidays, etc. One would think that after going repeated times, the magic would start to wear off some, but that is not the case. No matter how many times I have gone to a park this past year, each time I drive under the "Welcome to Disney" sign or walk into a park, my heart smiles.

I Love Fireworks!
One of the perks of where Nikki and have lived this last year is that we can see the fireworks at Magic Kingdom from our balcony every night. I have enjoyed this greatly! In fact, I plan to watch the 4th of July fireworks from my balcony in a few days. Their show is amazing and I don't have to be in a crowd! Anyway, despite the fact that I can see fireworks on a nightly basis if I want to, I still love them! If I am ever driving home at night and can see them going off in the sky, I'm always like, "Oh my gosh! There are the fireworks!!!" Then I remember to pay attention and not drive off the road, but it is such a fun sight. I am a fan. :)

Rainbows Are Glorious
I have seen a good number of rainbows in the year I have lived here. I guess with the afternoon storms and abundant sunshine, conditions are right for them. God has been so kind to me though through rainbows this year as they have often appeared when I needed a reminder that He loved me and that His promises are true. He is faithful and while I know this to be true, sometimes it's nice to see a sign of His faithfulness before your very eyes.

I'd Rather Be Hot Than Cold
I loved my time in Boston. God did so much work in my life and I had an amazing group of people to share life with, lots of whom I still keep in touch with a year after leaving. I do miss seeing snow fall on occasion, but I would much rather be hot than cold! I love being able to walk outside any time of the year and do something outside whenever I want to. I love the sunshine and warmth and light. And while it's ridiculously hot outside right now, I'd rather deal with that than the freezing cold darkness.

Jesus Is Bigger Than Anxiety
My struggle with anxiety has been well chronicled on this blog, so I won't go into huge detail here. Suffice it to say that when I moved to Florida a year ago, I was still struggling very much with anxiety and panic attacks and not being able to calm down. I tried the medication route and nothing worked because I had reactions to everything, and I just remember getting to a place of being completely over everything. I was tired of the anxiety, I felt like it was never going to go away, I didn't know what to do or what to try, and I just wanted to be able to be myself. I ended up deciding to go back to counseling, and it was the best decision to make. God led me to the most fabulous counselor ever, and she has walked with me through the journey of this past year, pushing me, encouraging me, and pointing me to God as He has healed and restored and redeemed so much in my life. Through this deeper, sometimes painful healing that has taken place, the anxiety and panic attacks have faded. I still battle anxiety sometimes, but I know how to better handle it now - how to calm down - and more importantly, Who to turn to and the truth to stand firm in. The healing that God has done in my life has been one of the greatest gifts He has given me in my time here in Florida. I will be forever grateful for His gift of the right person to walk this journey with (everyone should go to counseling!!), His gift of healing, and the courage He is giving me to walk in the freedom He has given me.

I Can Still Dream
When I arrived in Florida, I think a part of me was resigned to the fact that this was my life and always would be. I was going to have to work in jobs I didn't love so I could provide for myself, and the dreams I had before were always going to remain unfulfilled dreams. Yes, this is dramatic, but it's honest. Through this year of healing though, God has shown me that not only is it okay to still dream but that He has some dreams for me that were far bigger than anything I could imagine. I never thought I'd go back to school again, but here I am a couple of months away from beginning a program that I am so excited about and feel made for. For the first time in a long time, I am able to dream about "someday" again. I don't know if God has a husband and kids in my future or not. If not, He'll be enough, but regardless, I'm able to dream about it again. And while I'm excited about the specific dreams that are being awakened in me, I'm most excited about the fact that dreaming is taking place again!

Pets Are Awesome
I have had Ellie for 6 years now, and she keeps making me smile. I am grateful for the gift of pets and the funniness that she adds to my life. She likes Florida too, and she especially likes sleeping on pillows.

Kindred Spirits Are The Best
I am so thankful for the kindred spirits God has given me through the years. I have enjoyed having Nikki as a roommate this year and seeing how God has redeemed both of our stories individually and as friends. (As an aside - we are currently looking for a new place to live, seeing how we have to be out of our apartment in a month. My last name when I was married was Harper and Nikki's was Phillips. We have some realtor people helping us look for places. So how ironic that Mr. & Mrs. Harper are helping us and we may have found a place to live in Dr. Phillips. God is sick sometimes. :P) But seriously, having Nikki to share this year with and being able to reconnect with Jenn and still having my mom as a friend....well, I'm a lucky girl.

I Love My Family
I have the greatest family ever. They have walked with me through this past year, and I have walked with them in their own stories. A lot has changed in a year for all of us, but I am so thankful for each of them and the gift it is to have your family also be some of your closest friends.


Now here we stand at the beginning of a new year in Florida, a year that is sure to hold adventures that I can't even begin to imagine. Some things are planned but most of what's ahead is unknown. Thankfully, I am a child of a very big God who loves me more than I can comprehend. No matter what this year holds, we'll walk the path together. And I can't wait to see what He has in store! Happy 4th!

1 comment:

Glenda said...

Love you Tiffany! Jesus shines through your life. Thankyou for sharing your story - I continue to learn from you! In Him, Glenda