Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Cape Cod & Nantucket

Hi everybody! Sorry for the delay in getting this posted, but this is the first evening I've been able to sit down and organize everything. I had a blast at the Cape last weekend, and I shall tell you about my time and share some pictures with you. I went with Jeff & Jen, friends of mine from church. To begin, we drove down to the Cape on Friday evening after work and got to Jen's parents' house in time to go to bed. On Saturday morning, we got up to catch the ferry to Nantucket.

Nantucket is an island, and the only access to it (and to Martha's Vineyard as well) is by boat or by plane. The ferry ride from the Cape to the island is about 2 hours and 15 minutes long, which is kind of crazy. The weather was beautiful on Saturday morning, so we sat on the top level of the ferry and enjoyed the glorious ride over to the island. Here are a few pictures from the boat. This is Jeff and Jen (snacking on donuts!), me and Jen's mom, and the view we had.




I will say that it's really impossible to convey the beauty of the surroundings by a picture, but as we got further into our journey, we got to the place where we could no longer see the mainland and we couldn't yet see the island. For as far as you looked, all you could see was water and sky. As I sat there, I felt God say to me, "Your view of Me is too small. Don't let your world be too small because your view of me is too small." Something for us all to ponder and remember....

Because Nantucket is an island, all of their supplies have to be boated or flown in. This is an example of how they get their groceries.

The main "town" area is very quaint and old fashioned. Here are a few pictures of that.




Nantucket is a VERY expensive island. Jen's mom was telling us that the millionaires are having to leave now because they can't afford to live there anymore. The billionaires are buying out the millionaires. Everything there was very expensive. It cost almost $5 to get ice cream! We went in one store and looked at a few clothing items. There was a dress that was a very simple strapless dress, and I took a picture of the price tag because I was so shocked at the cost. Needless to say, we didn't buy anything!

We went to Brant Point to take pictures of a lighthouse. Here are some of my favorite shots of that, as well as some fun pictures we took of each other.






We ate lunch at a little cafe that was inside of an old train car.

Here is an example of a typical Cape style house, and then just a picture I like from someone's yard.


After a fun day of sightseeing and enjoying Nantucket, we got back on the ferry to go home. We got to enjoy a beautiful sunset. Here are a few pictures of God's glorious artwork.



On Sunday, we hung out with Jen's family for the day and had a great time. Hopefully at some point soon, I will have access to a video that I can post of some hilarious fun that we had with a green machine. :)

Thanks for sticking with me to the end of this lengthy post, but I hope you enjoyed it! I'll try to post again soon to update you on life in general. Love you all!

1 comment:

Jill said...

These pictures are great and it sounds like a fun place to visit. Maybe sometime when we're there we can see it with you again.

Have a great weekend and stay dry! The weather sounds a little interesting for you.

I'll be there in two weeks - how cool is that? Love you both!