Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Acropolis

Today we went into Athens and got to walk around the city and eat a delicious authentic Greek meal for lunch. The food was AMAZING. They have this fried cheese stuff that you squeeze a lemon over and eat. Oh my goodness. I'll try to find out how to spell all of the delicious things we have gotten to eat so I can fill you in, but fried cheese works for now. We were supposed to go right from lunch to the Acropolis, but the weather in Greece had other ideas. Right before we were to start the walk up, it started POURING rain. We thankfully were right by a big overhang, so we got there with minimal rain damage and ended up spending the next two hours there waiting out the rain. There was crazy lightening and thunder and lots of rain, all of which is supposedly very out of character for Greece at this time of year. We must have brought the typical Florida weather with us. The weather finally cleared up, and we got to go to the Acropolis and see the Parthenon and Mars Hill, and it was incredible. Pictures simply cannot do it justice, but here is a very futile attempt to try. I only chose a few of the many I took because I must get some sleep, but enjoy these views of ancient history!

This is the Acropolis, and this picture was taken while I was standing on Mars Hill. Mars Hill is the spot Paul stood when he preached to the Greeks. Due to the architecture and such, when one is standing on Mars Hill, you can hear what is said on the Acropolis and down in the market place as well. Many debates took place there.

Speaking of Mars Hill, it is the rock behind me in this picture, taken while I was standing on the Acropolis.

This is what the ceiling looked like in the original Acropolis.

Here is a picture of me with my two professors who are on this trip.

This is a picture of the Parthenon.

These next two pictures show the cool sky that was present because the weather was still kind of iffy and it rained off and on.


Finally, a picture of me and the Roommate. We are having a great time getting to share this together!

Tomorrow, we are going to Andros Island and spending the whole day there. This is where we will get to see the white washed houses with blue roofs and I can't wait! More pictures and adventures to come soon!

No comments: