Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Greece Day 1


Did you know that when you are in Greece and go to the Google homepage, everything is written in Greek?? Kind of cool.... Anyway, greetings to you all from Greece! We have finished our first day of class and will be eating dinner in about 45 minutes at 7pm. I am quite tired but feel like I'm getting close to being adjusted to the time difference. I think tomorrow will be much better. Even though getting a decent amount of sleep last night helped, my body is still getting used to that it's evening time here and still in the morning at home. Being outside helps because when you are in light, your body thinks it should be awake, and eating meals regularly helps too. I have actually adjusted a lot faster than I thought, so that is good, but it was tough to sit in a class all day. This class is going to be awesome though. I'm sure I'll have much to process about it as the days go by, but for now suffice it to say that we don't think about a lot in our culture or why we do what we do until we're challenged about it. More to come on that topic later.

For now, here is a little tour of where we are staying. We are at the Greek Bible College here, living in dorms. Here are a couple of pictures of the buildings and our room. This is the entrance to our dorm. Honeysuckle lines both sides of it, which makes the air smell quite delicious!


Walter the bear made the trip with me. He has been on every trip I've gone on since I was a freshman in high school. He is enjoying his first international experience!!

One thing about Greece I do not love so far is that you can't flush toilet paper down the toilets. I've never thought about that as I use a bathroom in the US, and it's weird to realize some of the things we take for granted. It's not that big of a deal, but for some reason, this totally grosses me out! I just think it's nasty, especially when you consider what sometimes occurs when one is on the toilet. :) This picture shows you our bathroom, and all toilet paper goes in the trashcan. Yes, we change the trash at least once a day.

It's really pretty here, and there is NO humidity, which is a very refreshing change from Florida. We eat all of our meals outside at little tables like the one below or picnic tables. The well picture is there just because I thought it was pretty.


Here are some of us earlier today...

More cute pictures....


So there you have it! Tonight we are having dinner and then going to a cute little place right down the street called Coffee, Tea, and Sympathy. Then I also have to write in my journal and read some for class. Tomorrow we have class again all day, with a few fun things mixed in. These first four days are pretty much just class and then we'll start having many adventures. I am loving being here with Nikki and I think this trip is going to be amazing. Those who are guests get to hang out and do other things while we are in class, so if you want to check out Nikki's blog, (just click on her name in this sentence) you can see her pictures and things that I am not getting to do.

Hope you all have a great day, and I'll be in touch soon!

3 comments:

Glenda said...

I'm so happy for you Tiffany!
Enjoy!
Hugs,
Glenda

Jill said...

So glad to hear you slept well! It looks beautiful and I'm glad you're able to show us some of what your surroundings look like. Can't wait to hear more as you settle into class. I think Dad and I are going to have to travel internationally sooner rather than later so take lots of notes! Love you lots!

Erin G said...

That's so cool you guys got to bring guests! I don't know Nikki but I LOVE travel stories and pics so I am definitely following her blog now, officially!! Exciting. :)

What in the WORLD is unpacked into y'all's dorm desks? Did you move in for freshman year or what?? ;)