Sunday, March 16, 2008

On Baseball, God, and Ellie

Hi everyone! I'm so sorry I haven't posted a blog in awhile. It's been a little nutty lately, but I don't want to lose all of my blog readers, so I will try to get better at updating. To make up for it, I shall try to post a lengthy blog. :)

To begin, let's talk about baseball. I love it. What a great game! As I continue in my quest to try to see a game in every major league park, I have been making some plans. Thought I'd share them with you because they're cool. In mid-April, I am flying down to Baltimore, and my mom is flying up. We will meet in that great city, have been offered a place to stay for free, and have a great and fun weekend planned. To start, we are going to spend a day sightseeing in DC. The last time I was there was in seventh or eighth grade, and I think I will appreciate it more now. Then on Sunday, we will be going to a baseball game in the Nationals new ballpark while they play the Braves. I'm gonna enjoy that one! Then on Monday evening, we're going to a Baltimore Orioles game before we fly our separate ways on Tuesday. So in one weekend, I get two parks crossed off the list! For the month of May, another trip is planned. I apologize for the blurry picture below, but check it out....

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I was given 2 tickets to see a Yankees game in their last year in Yankee Stadium. Once again my mom is joining me in this adventure as we will be able to see a game in this historic ballpark. It's going to be a fun spring!

As we look at the beginning of a new week, which will start with the fun of St. Patrick's Day (which is a huge holiday in Boston, thanks to all of the Irish....I have some great socks to wear for the day - thanks Judy!!).... and yet it is also Holy Week, the week where we remember the events that led up to the death of Jesus. I'm always struck by the passage in Philippians 4, where Paul talks about knowing Christ and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death....I've always wanted to know the power of Christ, but sharing in His sufferings? Ummm, no thanks. In Mark 8, Jesus says, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me." We were discussing this passage today in church, and the pastor was telling us about a congregation of people in Africa who sang about following Jesus wherever He went. But where did He go? He went to a cross. And the point of that was not for defeat. It was so that out of the greatest tragedy this world has ever known, in the worst sufferings, in all the wrong and evil that will ever exist being laid on one Man's shoulders, real life could begin. And when we follow Him there, when we share in His sufferings, we can rest in the hope of what He said while He hung there: "IT IS FINISHED."

Indeed. In the midst of the trials and the pain that life can bring, when we are willing to rest at the foot of the cross....to let Him tear away the layers and scabs and mess and brokenness, no matter how painful the process....true life begins, and who He has created us to truly be is free to live. And He who began a good work in us is just getting started! When the day in each of our lives comes where His work is finished, and we get to see Him face to face, how much more thankful will we be that He truly did finish it. Don't let this week pass by lightly. It cost our Savior everything, and yet He willingly paid the price. As we follow Him, it will cost us everything too. But on the flip side of that cost is life....worth everything we lay at His feet.

On a lighter note, I am thankful everyday for the gift God gave me in my cat. She has been a comfort to me in many ways in the almost 4 years that I have had her. She makes me smile, and she reminds me over and over again how loved I am. So I will leave you with this picture of her and wish you all a wonderful week as we worship our Savior together for what He has done. Love you guys!

2 comments:

Uncle John said...

Nice post and great message, Tiffany. It's so cool that you and your mom will get to share the baseball adventures together. Have a great week!

Love,
Uncle John

Jill said...

What a great picture of Ellie the wondercat! Thanks for the sobering and exciting reminder of why Jesus came, lived, and died; so we could have life.

Have a wonder-filled week as you prepare for the celebration of God's victory over sin and death!

We can't wait to have Michael home for his birthday next week and then I get to begin ballparking with you. (Can that be a new word??)

Love you lots! Mom