Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Baltimore Part 1

Greetings dear friends! Well, I am back safe and sound at home in Boston and my mom is safely back in Atlanta. We had a GREAT time seeing some new cities, two ballparks and just hanging out together. I took lots of pictures and want to share our experiences with you guys, so I plan to post a few blogs over the next couple of days to give you a better idea of our time.

First, a story. When we arrived in Baltimore (which has one of the highest crime rates of any city in the country), we had instructions on how to catch a train from the airport to a particular stop where we could then catch a cab to where we were staying. Well, we got off at the wrong stop and found ourselves in the middle of the ghetto of Baltimore. We asked an old lady with a cane (she seemed safe!) where we should go to find a cab, and when she pointed us in the direction, she told us to be careful. That set the nerves on even further edge than they already were, but as it was midnight in Baltimore, we didn't have much of a choice. We went up a couple of blocks, and I'm trying to call a cab, but they want an address, not just an intersection, so the lady hangs up on me when I can't give her one. As we get to the corner, there is a massive crowd of people, and a fight between two girls breaks out. They end up on top of each other in the middle of the road, and lots of people are watching them. We're trying to look as invisible as possible, but we have suitcases, and we're the only people of our color on the street. Suffice it to say, there were some tense moments as we waited for a cab. Our guardian angels were on overtime, and I don't think I want to know how much danger we were really in. Our cabbie told us he almost didn't come and get us when he heard the address. But thankfully he did, we ended up at the house we stayed at, and after about 45 minutes, my heartrate went back to normal. After the scary start, things went much better! :)

We went into DC to sightsee on Saturday and had a gorgeous day to do so. Tomorrow, I will post an entry on DC with lots of pictures of all the sights. Then I will post an entry later with pictures and stories from the two ballparks. For now, here is a fun preview.



Thank you for all of your prayers for us on this trip! I look forward to sharing more of it with you soon...

7 comments:

Judy said...

What? No pictures of the street fight?

Tiffany Jones said...

hahahaha...if I thought I could do it and not get mugged or killed, I would have taken a picture! :)

Jill said...

That's one picture I don't think I ever want to see although it did remind me of my days working at the the local high school. :) When I imagine what we must have looked like from an aerial view - two misplaced white females dragging suitcases trying to look like we belonged...well, I just laugh out loud and thank God He really doesn't slumber or sleep!

Unknown said...

Just wanted to say hi Tiffany! I just got caught up on your blog. Love, kelly k

E said...

Oh my gosh...isn't it scary just how unsafe parts of our country are? Wow, I am so glad that y'all made it safely out of there! AHHH, I HATE VIOLENCE and CRIME!

Betty Anne said...

question...how long will it take for the reader's heartrate to go back down?

Jill said...

That probably depends on how much the reader loves us! :)