Sunday, August 26, 2007

Free


Today is Sunday, so I thought it would be appropriate to have a reflective blog. This weekend marks the six month anniversary of the day my life changed forever. In some ways, it's really hard to believe that it's been six months already, but the old adage is true - life really does go by quickly, both in good times and in bad.

Last weekend, our cousin came to visit us, and we took him to the lighthouse in East Gloucester. There is a really long jetty that you can walk out on, so we did that together. It was an extremely windy day - winds of about 25mph. As I was walking on the jetty, wind howling all around me and water surrounding me, I had the overwhelming sense that I was free. I felt really light and like the burden I had been carrying around for awhile was gone. I just felt completely and totally free.

Then the most remarkable thing happened. As we were walking along the jetty, we kept encountering seagulls. When we got close to them, they would stand up and fly away to get away from us. But because the wind was so brisk, they didn't really have to fly anywhere. They literally just jumped off the dock, opened their wings, and floated in the air. I have never seen anything like it in my life. It was as if God Himself came down from heaven and said to me, "That is how I want you to live your life. Jump off the jetty, spread out your wings, and float in My wind and just see where we go."

I think the coolest part about that experience is that it's true. I am free. Because of Christ, I am free. And I can trust in His love to the point that I can be carried through this life by Him, and ultimately, nothing else matters. We will all encounter difficult times in life - trials and heartaches that we wouldn't wish on anyone. But I can say that I have learned yet again that Jesus is enough for whatever He allows in our lives.

I tried to capture the birds floating in the air so I would have a visual reminder. Not sure that my pictures do it justice, but these are two of my favorite shots.

And so six months into this journey, I find myself excited and full of hope at all that God has in store for now and all of eternity. And that is the miracle of His love for us. "If His blood has set you free, you are free indeed."

Have a great freedom-filled week!

3 comments:

E said...

What an awesome post and amazing pictures. I just love reading your blog. I am so thankful that God has set you free of the burdens and heartache that you have felt and been through over the last six months. It is hard to believe that it has been that long already. Tiffany, you continue to inspire me and make me smile! You have always been such a great friend to Jenny. I can see why she loves you so much! You have a beautiful heart!

Jill said...

Wow - what a great first picture! I am so proud of you for leaning into God instead of running from Him. He tells us He uses "all things for good" and we've seen that to be true in our lives. And just think - the best is yet to come! Keep spreading your wings and letting God carry you wherever He wills and we will praise Him always for His faithfulness. I love you! Mom

Uncle John said...

What a great post... Thanks for the inspiration! I love the pictures too.